Quality Assurance Technician
Balchem Corporation develops, manufactures and markets specialty ingredients that improve and enhance the health and well-being of life on the planet, providing state-of-the-art solutions and the finest quality products for a range of industries worldwide. Our corporate headquarters is located in New Hampton, New York, (Hudson Valley area) and we have a broad network of sales offices, manufacturing sites, and R&D centers, primarily located in the US and Europe. Founded in 1967, Balchem is a publicly traded company (NASDAQ BCPC) with annual revenues over $640 million and a market cap exceeding $3.0 billion. The company consists of three business segments: Human Nutrition & Health; Animal Nutrition & Health; and Specialty Products. Balchem employs over 1,400 people worldwide who are engaged in diverse activities, committed to developing the company into global market leadership positions. To learn more about our dynamic, stable and growing company, visit www.balchem.com
The Quality Assurance (QA) Technician performs quality assurance duties as needed to support plant operations. Examines Company facilities to ensure standards are maintained and product integrity is preserved. Monitors cleaning and sanitation procedures and performs product testing. Directly reports to the Quality Assurance Manager for proper direction, interpretation, and evaluation. Maintains and guarantees Balchem Cereal Systems quality and safety standards.
- Work with Production Manager, Supervisors/ Leads to monitor and document the food safety and food quality of raw and finished products.
- Report any deviation from quality of service that may become a potential liability.
- Perform QA testing during the course of production, including, but not limited to, moisture, sensory, and screen profile analysis. Resolve all quality problems.
- Monitor timeliness and completeness of QA procedures and documentation, i.e., equipment line cleans, Master Sanitation Schedule (MSS) duties, Critical Control Point/Control Point (CCP/CP) procedures, etc.
- Ensure all paperwork is complete in an accurate and timely manner.
- Ensure the documentation complies with Company food safety and food quality standards.
- Adhere to all Company policies and procedures, i.e. personnel, safety, and equipment maintenance and upkeep.
- Become proficient in areas of production and safety policies and procedures (accident/injury reporting, blood-borne pathogens, confined spaces, emergency evacuation, equipment operation/maintenance, hazard communication, ladders, lockout/tagout, personal protective equipment, etc.) as appropriate.
- Observe safety and security procedures, determine appropriate action beyond guidelines, and report potentially unsafe conditions.
- Provide proper documents and control samples to shift leaders and operators as needed for production.
- Provide team based training on food quality and food safety during huddle meetings, specific training classes, monthly training, etc.
- Assist and monitor cleaning and sanitation procedures.
- Consistently be on time to work, meetings, and training sessions.
- Attend all Company-sponsored training events, i.e., safety training talks, and monthly training sessions, targeted for continuing personal growth and development.
- Report to your Manager any failure to adhere to Balchem work ethics and standards.
- Assist with research and development (R&D) projects.
- Maintain the verification and calibration programs for moisture balances and scales (bench top).
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Quality Assurance Manager.
- Consistently communicate verbally or written, any pertinent information regarding food safety, food quality, or quality assurance matters to QA team, QA Manager, operations and when appropriate customers.
- Bachelor's degree in chemistry, biology, microbiology, or food science is desirable.
- Two to four years of experience in production facility quality control is highly desirable.
- Individual must be equipped with strong motivation, organization, time management, documentation, and communication skills (both orally and written).
- Must have excellent attention to detail and the ability to multi-task and prioritize.
- Demonstration of strong work ethics (punctual, dependable, and trustworthy) is necessary.
- The ability to utilize common sense and skills in completing responsibilities and operating equipment conforming to company production, personnel, and safety procedures is needed.
- The ability to read and comprehend instructions, correspondence, memos, write correspondence and effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
- Must be able to communicate and handle conflict in a professional manner.
- The ability to give and welcome feedback and contribute to building a positive team spirit is required.
Individual will continually be required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel, to talk and hear, and to utilize specific vision abilities including but not limited to close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. Regularly required to climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, and crawl, using proper ergonomic principles, taste, smell, and lift up to 25 pounds. Periodically required to lift up to and above 50 and 100 pounds, utilizing safe and proper lift techniques and equipment. Individual will rarely be required to sit.
Individual will operate equipment, including but not limited to computers, drafting equipment and instruments involving scientific meters and measuring devices. The ability to distinguish colors is required.
Balchem requires anyone working in the plant or entering the plant to adhere to the personal protective equipment policies and procedures. All personal protective equipment furnished must be worn by all employees when required or needed to perform proper and safe working conditions.
Individual may rarely be exposed to wet or humid conditions, working near moving mechanical parts, work in extreme heat (non-weather), work in high noise levels and vibration. Individual may also be periodically working in high or precarious places, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, outdoor weather conditions, and extreme cold (non-weather).
- Starting Salary $17.00/hr.
- Plus Shift Premium; $.40- 2nd Shift & $.60-3rd Shift
- Medical/Dental/Vision Insurance first of the month following employment
- 401(k) with 6% employer match after 60 days of employment
- Paid Time Off (Vacation, Personal, Sick, Floating, Holidays)
- Uniforms Provided
- Safety Shoes Provided
- Tuition Reimbursement after 2 years of employment (must be work related)
- Fitness Reimbursement Plan up to a maximum of $375 per benefit plan year (1/1-12/31)